Update:
Our Miracle Blanket arrived in the mail today! I'm not gonna lie, it does very much remind me of a straight jacket. I am having a really hard time with the fact that her hands are secured down at her sides, as she is at the point where she loves to have her hands/fingers in her mouth. Guilt aside, she is in it. I put her down in the PNP a few minutes ago, so we will see how the night progresses. She did stay up later than usual because she had a late nap, and for the first time in a while, I was able to give her a bath right before bedtime (she can only have a bath when her bag leaks, which, as luck would have it, is almost always at some rediculous hour like 5am or something.) What I am trying to say is I have the cards stacked in my favor. Up late. Bath right before bed. Miracle Blanket.
Fingers are crossed. Now...I gotta go. American Idol is on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it's day 2 of Operation Crib. We are making strides, albeit, very small ones. Here's my thought process about the whole thing:
Abigail is a terrible sleeper. I think mostly because of her reflux. That and when she was in the hospital she often slept on her tummy (they can do that there because they are hooked up to the heart monitor at all times). My point is that she LOVES sleeping on her tummy and does so quite peacefully. The same cannot be said for her on her back. Anyhow, we have a Pack-and-Play set up in our bedroom. She spends about the first 3 hours of every night in it, sleeping on an incline and on her back. But after about 3 hours, she wakes up hysterical, gassy, and often throwing up, so I pick her up and she spends the rest of the night sleeping on her tummy, on me. Great for her! Not so much for me.
So the thing is, she is almost at the weight limit for the bassinet of the PNP, and with her going into the hospital for a while, I'm thinking we should go cold turkey and go straight to the crib after her hospital stay. I thought I would try to get her used to the crib by putting her in it for naps. Normally, she naps on her tummy on the sofa where I can watch her at all times. Today she fell asleep in my arms so I put her down in the crib and she made it about 25 minutes before she realized where she was and freaked out. So of course, now she is back sleeping out in the living room next to me.
I am sure she would do fine sleeping on her tummy all night, but the what-if-something-happens is just too much for me to bear. Not to mention I spent 7 weeks in the NICU being drilled daily on the whole "back to sleep" thing. I probably wouldn't be so neurotic about it except for the fact that someone very near and dear to me just lost her 8 week old grandson in November to SIDS. So sad.
I have been completely sleep deprived and every ounce of my body hurts because I sleep with a 13 pound baby on my chest every night. She can obviously sleep just fine without me, because she takes great naps. I don't think I've done too much damage yet. But if I don't get some sleep here pretty soon, all heck might just break loose.
As a last resort, I am anxiously awaiting a Miracle Blanket in the mail. After reading about them over at MckMama's, I thought I would give it a try. (By the by, I purchased it on eBay for about half the cost. Yay me! Oh how I do love eBay!) ML sent me a swaddling blanket with feet, which I love except that she Houdini's her way out of the swaddle in about 10 seconds flat. And I know people typically stop swaddling around 4 months, and Abby is almost 5, but her adjusted age is just barely 2 months, so I think it is ok to still swaddle???
I am at a loss. Our nights are very long. And when we don't sleep well at night...well...our days are even longer. Ugh.
9 comments:
Ugh. Sleepless nights are so hard, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Ella hated the pack n' play bassinet and slept on us for four months or more (and we had aches and pains from it! )Ella also liked her tummy and once she could flip from back to tummy (5.5 months) she was waaaay happier and slept longer at night(and so did we...)...we also tried the miracle blanket and it worked well to keep her "swaddled" at night...so, hang in there, but I know it's sooo hard when you are sooo tired!
Abigail is just beautiful-we love the pictures and are SO jealous that you have warm weather!
xoxo
Hope
p.s. A box of clothes will be on it's way shortly...:)
You DO need some sleep. :) It's so hard when babies aren't sleeping like they should.
3 of our 6 kids were belly sleepers and they never had a problem. SIDS is NOT from sleeping on your belly, there are strong cases against vaccines causing SIDS. Anyway, I think there is a baby monitor out there that the baby lays on and you can monitor their breathing and such. What about something like that so you would be comfortable with her sleeping on her tummy. Just a thought! Hang in there... it will get better. :)
britt
The miracle blanket worked miracles for my daughter and our sleep, so hopefully it will do the same for you. Good luck!
I swaddled two of my children until well into their 6th month. They loved sleeping that way...I don't see any reason why you can't swaddle her now, especially considering her adjusted age!
This is only my opinion--but whatever works for her and gives YOU the night's sleep you need is acceptable. :) So if that means tummy sleeping (I am with Britt on this--I have done lots and lots of research on this one, and we had a SIDS case very near and dear to us too--tragic, but not caused from tummy sleeping as he was on his back--and I can honestly say that I know how you feel on this) or swaddling, or whatever else, so be it. Whatever gets the job done.
You can only last so long without proper sleep! A momma has GOT to sleep.
I would LOVE it if you'd let me know how the Miracle Blanket goes for her! (I saw your comment on my blog, had no email attached, so I headed over here and I'm glad I did so I could read about your girls:) ) I have my fingers crossed for you! And, yes, it's very straight-jacket-y, but even though it feels odd, most babies LOVE it! Stellan adores his and he likes to sleep on an incline, too, although he USED to sleep well on his tummy, he gave that up after being on his back so many days in the hospital with RSV. Anyway, point is, I'd love to know how it goes for you guys with the Miracle Blanket!!
Braydon had terrible reflux - so bad that he'd actually choke (turn blue) and it was super scary. For a while he slept with me (only time he wouldn't choke in his sleep) and once we were ready to put him back in his crib, we bought an angelcare monitor, so we'd be alerted if anything was wrong and to give us peaceful sleep at night. They're great in preventing SIDS and great for parents of babies who sleep best on their tummies (long before they're suppose to). Check it out -we love it!
Hey mine were the same way. I did the wedge for awhile and it did not work. Then I moved them to their car seat because of the reflux. They slept GREAT in there. As you know, I just put them in the crib and they are fine in there now...She may be used to her tummy though! You can always buy a monitor that goes under the crib mattress that goes off if it does not feel the baby move or whatnot for a certain period of time and it will let you know. You need your sleep. I think it is called an angelcare monitor?
Hello :)
For what its worth my son (now 16 months still sleeps "swaddeled" so to speak...
He outgrew the premade ones by two months old...
We use a 52x52 inch square :) As he fought himselfout of it i'd leave an arm out for him, then both arms then his feet and now i just wrap around his torso and off to bed he goes.. he calls in blankie now and it's fine with me :)
GOod luck you need some sleep Mama!
oh the comments are so familiar!
Both of my babes were vaccinated and slept on their tummies and still do.
My first slept through the night at 8 weeks...my second slept through the night at.....5 months...and that was through lots of food, lots of soothing bath time, dim lights and music...we did the carseat thing, it worked well a couple times but ya gotta keep them buckled in..not that I didn't one time maybe..no, not me!
I know it may be hard with DH's schedule but do/can you take shifts?
Post a Comment